Rehearsing the Lament of the green bean
Making Basmati Rice Crowns
Rehearsing Basmati Basmati
- Specially commissioned scripts to be performed by your students
- Filmed Theatre of Debate productions with debate outlines and support materials
5 Free play in a day scripts for Primary schools age 7-11
Read the following short briefs and choose a play that best suits what you want your pupils to learn, or a specific topic you want to explore.Theatre of Debate was commissioned by the Wellcome Trust Crunch project to create five play in day scripts and resources for primary schools. The future of food is one of the biggest challenges on our plate. Food and drink are fundamental to our lives, connecting everything from our health to the world around us. It’s time for us to take a fresh look at our relationship with food and be inspired to create the recipe for a happier, healthier future.
Drama is an effective and fun way of engaging pupils in exploring and learning about big questions. The five specially commissioned Play in a Day free scripts (average length 15 minutes) have been written by five playwrights in collaboration with five leading scientists who are carrying out research relating to ‘our food, our health and our planet. Each play has clear learning outcomes and links to the curriculum. The scripts have roles for everyone in the class and not only explore topics but will develop transferrable skills such as teamwork, creativity and leadership. These plays can be performed to the whole school community and can also be used for assemblies, harvest festivals and special food related events like World No Meat Day .
'Beloved Burger' by Rhiannon Tise
'Day of Temptation' by Judith Johnson
'The Lament of the Green Bean' by Eleanor Cook
'Basmati Basmati' by Jonathan Hall
'For Richer for Poorer' by Adam Hughes
Choosing the right play for your class.
Read the following short briefs and choose a play that best suits what you want your pupils to learn, or a specific topic you want to explore.Each script comes with:
- two short films (of no more than 5 minutes), produced by professional Movement Consultant Robin Guiver, illustrating how to use movement in your production.
- specially composed free music and sound effects created by Composer Alex Parsons to download and use in your production.
- Director’s Notes which include learning outcomes, links to the curriculum, more in-depth information about the theme of your chosen play, along with hints and tips on how stage the play for a workshop performance
Choose this script and resources to explore biodiversity in a simple way through exciting movement and music.
Focus: Biodiversity - why it’s important to grow a variety of crops to avoid crop failure.
- I know what biodiversity is.
- I understand how supply and demand works.
- I understand the effects climate change and population can have on the food I eat.
Beloved Burger by Rhiannon Tise
Focus: Sustainable Diets - The impact food consumption has on the planet’s resources.
- I know what a sustainable diet is.
- I understand the impact the food we eat has on the rest of the world, including its role in climate change.
- I recognise the impact of diet and exercise on my body
Focus: Food Security - the impact of where our food is from on other places and the environment as a whole.
- I understand what food security means and why it’s important.
- I understand some problems with wasting food
- I know where my food comes from and what goes into it.
Day of Temptation by Judith Johnson
Focus: Obesogenic Environment - Environments that encourage people to eat unhealthily and not do enough exercise.
- I know what a healthy meal looks like.
- I can identify an obesogenic environment and understand what makes it one.
- I understand the importance of diet and exercise.
Focus: Undernutrition/overnutrition - The environmental causes of under/overnutrition and how the food we eat can affect our health
- I know what undernutrition and overnutrition are.
- I understand what nutrients are and the impact they have on my health.
- I recognise the impact of diet and exercise on my body.